Sunday, October 13, 2019

Small and Simple Joys




Carolyn J. Rose

I used to wonder about the validity of those quotes about the importance of the little things in life, but lately I get it. I still appreciate big things—like a new car or a vacation. I get a thrill from those. But the little things give me a tiny tingle and a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Here, in no particular order, are a few of the small joys in my life.

A new pair of fleece-lined, snug-fitting slippers for chilly mornings.



A trip to the library to browse the shelves and the pleasure of discovering that a new book I was waiting my turn for is on the lucky-day shelf.

Happy hour.

Peas sprouting in the garden.

Zero problems detected on a dental visit.

Discovering that last year’s shorts still fit.

Having a garage so I don’t have to scrape the windshield on a frosty morning.

Finding a candy bar that got shoved to the back of a shelf and is still good.

Sliding into the pool at the community center when it’s just the right temperature and not too crowded.

Getting a January sunbreak so I can walk without soaking myself.

Finding a thrift store treasure with a half-price tag.

Having my neighbor tell me he has his chain saw warmed up and will gladly do some trimming for me.

Slicing that first ripe tomato warm from the sun.

Having just enough zucchini for us and our neighbors and not so much I have to leave it on doorsteps ring their bell and run.

Good friends.


2 comments: